“In effective personal leadership, visualisation and affirmation techniques emerge naturally out of a foundation of well thought through process and principles that become the centre of a person’s life.”
Stephen Covey, bestselling author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The last series on the Subconscious Mind (SCM) had proved the point that the real powerhouse in our “Thinking Entity” is the SCM. If somehow, we could convince our SCM to do something and then keep it convinced, it is a matter of time before that thing will manifest in our lives. We had also learnt of the fact that the SCM is incapable of receiving anything unless it is cleared by the filter of the Conscious Mind. The import of these two facts is pretty clear – what we think is most important and we have to ensure that we allow only those thoughts to reach our SCM which we want to come true.
To take this argument further, there are only two ways by which thoughts will reach our SCM. One, the thoughts which are conceived due to external perceptions being received by our Conscious Mind. Our sense organs, eyes, ears, tongue, nose and skin, receive millions of stimuli every day, which create the perceived reality for us. This perceived reality is what we call our world – yes the manifested world is nothing but the sequence of events that is being perceived by us. The same event may be perceived totally differently by someone else and hence his/her perceived reality will be entirely different.
For example, a surgeon who cuts his patient open to save his life may fail in his efforts and the patient may die. Technically, it is an act of murder but for the spouse of the person, it may not be so as the doctor was trying his best to revive life. The same knife, cutting open an innocent person in a dark alley, to steal his belongings, is an act of cold-blooded murder. The same act, resulting in the same outcome but due to different intents, make the manifested reality different. We will manifest our reality based on a datum that is set in our mind due to our basic Prakriti (fundamental nature) and upbringing/ surroundings. Thus, all of us have a different frame of reference to judge the same objective event. These frames put together create our belief system or values against which we construct our manifested reality.
The second kind of thoughts are what we generate without any external stimuli or by thinking about a stimulus that took place in the past or is yet to take place in the future. So, we keep ruminating about an event that took place decades ago and was not to our liking. Or, we keep worrying about some event that is yet to unfold in the future, thinking about the worst possible outcome which may never come true. I mean, the real outcome may be the best possible but our anxiety forces us to only consider the worst. It is a scientifically proven fact that our SCM is incapable of differentiating between a real event (which is happening in the Now) and a simulated event, which we are conjuring up in our imagination. Recollect your worst dreams where you wake up in cold sweat and then realise to your relief that it was all make-believe, just a nightmare. Or, when you are hungry and think of a hot, sumptuous meal, you automatically begin to salivate.
We all have experienced the power of a motivating speech, be it in person or on the web/T.V. We feel energised, motivated and eager to start our journey to the intended goal- say weight reduction. We take the membership of the gym, subscribe to the fitness and lifestyle channels, buy the fancy smartwatch, read a self-help book on fitness and hit the gym with gusto. A week passes and getting up at that unearthly hour for the gym and proscribing the desserts seems like torture. Another week passes, and you give it all up – another hour of sleep appears valuable, and the delicious desserts a need after a hard day at the office. The benefits of a healthy lifestyle, as given in that motivating speech are still well-known, but the mind has won the “battle of the bulge.”
The need was to keep the mind indoctrinated to the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, regularly, maybe daily or even more frequently – but how do you do that? The key technique is self-talk – you have to keep talking to yourself, i.e. your mind to keep it motivated and positive. The inputs to your mind should be simulated and not allowed to reach via the sense organs- which could be positive or negative; you must provide only positive ones. In a way, it is programming your mind for the output which you desire and not allow it to work on random and capricious inputs from the sense organs.
Sometimes, the external stimulus will be created because of some other person, say his/her talk, which will impact you as much. So, if you decide to keep the company of happy and positive persons, you are likely to remain in a happy frame of mind and vice versa. Therefore, the company you keep matters, including what you consume through the media (print, electronic or social). You may fill your mind with garbage or sweetness, the output, your thoughts will be in strict accordance.
This self-talk, which could be done by two different methods that we will discuss in this article, is the elixir to make our SCM believe in something. The SCM, carrying the memories of past many births and connected to the Infinite Intelligence, is capable of getting answers to anything that we may ask of it. These answers will then be our signposts to a life of happiness, well-being and success and help us achieve whatever we want to be, do or have. The two methods are Positive Affirmations (PA) and Creative Visualisation (CV).
Positive Affirmations (PA)
We have already established that our SCM can’t differentiate between a real and a simulated event. PA are a method to keep feeding only those thoughts to our SCM which are going to result in a positive outcome in our life. It is immaterial whether the thought or the event is true or not or whether it has yet taken place or not. What is important is to convince our SCM about the veracity of that thought and we can do that only if we ourselves are convinced about it. Thus, our belief system emerges as the key to it all – what we believe to be true is true for us irrespective of the evidence to the contrary. If you speak a lie a hundred times eventually it gets embedded as your truth in your mind. Similarly, you need to speak to your SCM repeatedly about an outcome that you want to be manifested in your life. Obviously, it is something that is as yet covered by the veil of time, but you are imagining what would it look like once unveiled.
Your PA should trigger an emotion in you because anything we desire to do, be or have, is for an underlying feeling or emotion. We want to be wealthy not because of all that virtual money in our accounts but because having that money in our account will give us a feeling of security, well-being, happiness etc. We want to marry a person of our choice because we want to experience that marital bliss with that person. Whenever you are coveting something look for the feeling or emotion below that want, it’s that emotion you are after and not necessarily the thing itself. A PA like, “On 30 Oct 2021, I am completing a half Marathon in 2 hours”, will trigger an emotion of fulfilment, contentment, pride, and so on. The more you keep saying this PA, the underlying happy emotions will help convince your SCM to create conditions for this future event to come true.
On the other hand, never indulge in negative self-talk or Negative Affirmations. Never even think about something that you don’t want to manifest in your life. Instead of saying, “I am bad at public speaking” say, “I am working at becoming as good at public speaking as I am at creative writing.” Instead of saying, “I am bad at Maths” say, “I am working at becoming as good in Maths as I am in English.” Always give a positive spin to your negative self-talk. For this reason alone, you should shun the company of people who have a “negative DNA” meaning they specialise in finding faults with everything or everyone without suggesting an alternative. Remember that your thoughts are also generated or triggered by the talk or comments of the people you are with.
Ten Commandments for PA
- The PA statement should be in the present tense, short and precise meaning convey exactly what you want to be, do or have. So, you should say, “By 12 July 2021 I have lost 10 kg weight and now weigh 70 kg.”
- The PA statement should never be about what you don’t want – remember that the SCM is very powerful but very dumb. It will manifest exactly what you don’t want in your life. So don’t say, “I don’t want to gain weight.”
- The PA should trigger positive emotions in you because they anchor the thought better in the SCM. Taking the first PA forward, “By 12 July 2021 I have lost 10 kg weight and now weigh 70 kg. I am feeling fit, healthy, full of energy and happy.”
- Trust the creator to manifest the best possible outcome for you, so leave that leeway in your PA – “By 12 July 2021 I have lost 10 kg weight or more and now weigh 70 kg. I am feeling fit, healthy, full of energy and happy.” Notice that “or more” has left the scope for an even better outcome than you bargained for.
- The PA should not be meant to hurt, harm, or malign someone. It is never a zero-sum game out there and your dreams won’t come true at the cost of someone else’s dreams.
- The PA statement should be conforming to the natural laws meaning that it should be believable to you. As we have discussed before, if you don’t have intrinsic faith in your PA statement, you can never convince your SCM to manifest what you want.
- Have faith in the Infinite Intelligence to manifest what you desire in your life through the conduit of your SCM. At the time when you make the PA, how you are going to reach your goal may not be clear to you but that is immaterial. Trust the Divine to show you the way through hunches, intuitions, sermons, a passage in a book, sixth sense, a serendipitous call from an acquaintance, anything at all. Just have faith and anything you desire will manifest.
- Repeat the PA often, many times in the day. Feel the emotions while stating the PA, engage as many senses as you can. Immerse yourself in the experience of actually enjoying whatever you want to be manifested in your life.
- Keep doing your karma. Just because you are saying your PA repeatedly, nothing will manifest if you don’t take any action. Set your goals, work out the path to reach those goals and fearlessly march towards them. Success will be yours; help will be provided along the way – this is a natural law.
- Keep living in the NOW. Having stated your PA in the manner discussed above, leave it to the divine and you immerse yourself in the Now. Don’t have any anxiety or apprehension for the future, it will dilute your efforts towards your goal.
That’s it, so far as the first technique of manifestation is concerned. Please read this post again, internalise it and modify it to suit your values, belief system and faith. In the second part of this series, we will discuss the second technique for manifestation – Creative Visualisation.
Read more from Anand here: